Sheriff Larry Blanton
Larry has been in law enforcement in Oregon for more than 30 years. Most recently, he served as Undersheriff of Deschutes County. He and his wife of 37 years have lived in Bend all their lives. They have two sons, Chad, a fireman paramedic for the City of Portland, and Shawn, employee of Bend Oil. They welcomed their first grandchild, Addie in October of 2010.
As Sheriff of Deschutes County, Larry serves on the Board of Public Safety Standards and Training; Board of Oregon Accreditation Alliance; High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area board member; member of the Kids Center Advisory Board. Larry is an alumnus of the FBI National Academy and past President of the Oregon State Sheriff's Association.
Larry is an active member of the community, participating in the Bend Chamber of Commerce Government Affairs Council and Leadership Bend Graduate of Class #2. In addition, Larry serves on many boards including the Central Oregon Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation.
2012-Current - Governor appointment to serve on Board of Public Safety Standards and Training
- 1976 – Bend City Police Department - Reserve
- 1978 - Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office – Reserve
- 1980 – Wasco County Sheriff’s Office – Deputy Sheriff
- 1982 – Molalla Police Department – Sergeant
- 1985 – Began full-time career with Deschutes County Sheriff’s office, promoted through the ranks as Patrol Deputy, Patrol Sergeant, Detective Sergeant, Patrol Lieutenant, Undersheriff
- 2007 to Present – Sheriff
- Western Oregon State College
- Clackamas Community College
- Chemeketa Community College
- Central Oregon Community College
- Department of Public Safety and Standards Training – Executive Certificate.
- Department of Public Safety and Standards Training – Oregon Executive Development Institute Graduate
- Mark Hatfield School of Government, Portland State University
- Graduate of Session #212 of the FBI National Academy, Quantico, Virginia
- Graduate of FBI Law Enforcement Executive Development, Quantico, Virginia
- Graduate of the 94th Session of the National Sheriffs’ Institute
- Family, fishing, hunting, and the great outdoors