New Application Process
IMPORTANT: Read and complete the CHL Application
in its entirety.
Fees are Non-Refundable
You must follow the instructions below and bring the following items to your appointment. If any of these items are not with you, your application will not be processed and your appointment will be rescheduled.
Call (541) 383-4425 to make an appointment.
Bring the following with you to your appointment:
- A completed new application
- A Valid Oregon Drivers License showing an address in Deschutes County to prove residency.
- A stamped, self-addressed business size envelope.
- Cash, debit card ($1 fee assessed), check, or money order in the amount of: $65.00. If bringing cash, please bring the exact amount.
- Proof of firearms training or your current concealed handgun license.
- Proof of US Citizenship is required: Applicants who were not born in the US but who have become naturalized US citizens or who were born in a foreign country as a US citizen must present proof of citizenship at the time of appointment. (NOTE: Do not mail documents; bring them to your appointment.)
A work permit or a legal resident alien card do not meet this requirement.
Methods that can prove your citizenship status include:
A) A Valid US Passport
B) Certificate of Citizenship
C) FFS240 (Foreign Service Document) issued at birth
D) Certified copy of US Birth Certificate
E) Original Naturalized Citizenship Certificate.
NO Photocopies will be accepted for any of the above documents.
PLEASE NOTE: You will be fingerprinted and photographed during your appointment. In addition , a thorough background check will be conducted prior to your license being issued or denied.
In addition, at the time of application, you must be able to demonstrate firearms competence by any one of the methods provided by law below:
- Completion of the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun License Class .
- Completion of any N.R.A. firearms safety or training course, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by Law Enforcement, Community College, private or public instruction, or organization or firearm training school utilizing instructors certified by the N.R.A. or Law Enforcement Agency, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any Law Enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security personnel, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officer if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service.
- Proof you are licensed or have been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked.
- Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a Law Enforcement agency or the N.R.A. if handgun safety is a component of the course.
- Military documents must be specific in stating that your training involved a handgun or pistol.
Failure to follow the required procedures will result in an incomplete application which cannot be accepted.
You are required to complete a new application (new application link is located on the top of this page) as part of your renewal process. In addition, proof of citizenship is required during the renewal process.
You do not need to schedule an appointment to renew your VALID CHL permit. However, if you want a new photo taken or if your card has been expired more than one (1) year you will be required to schedule an appointment by calling 541-383-4425.
A renewal notice will be mailed to you.
Within 90 days prior to the expiration of your permit, you may request to renew your CHL. A new application is required for all renewals. Your renewed CHL is valid for four (4) years unless cancelled or revoked during that time. Fees are non-refundable.
Please bring to the Main Sheriff’s Office in Bend Monday through Thursday between 8:00-11:30 or 1:30-4:30 the following:
- A new application dated the day you drop it off
- Bring proof of U.S. Citizenship
- Bring a valid Oregon Driver's License with your current Deschutes County address
- We prefer a check payable to "DCSO" in the amount of $50.00. Alternate payment can be cash (EXACT CHANGE ONLY) or Debit Card ($1.00 service fee)
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
- Your current CHL permit
* We will make a copy of your proof of citizenship and return it to you.
* Your renewed permit will be mailed to you within a week of the date you drop off your application.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE REQUIRED PROCEDURES WILL RESULT IN AN INCOMPLETE APPLICATION WHICH CANNOT BE ACCEPTED.