Getting a Handgun License
Get Your First Handgun License
1. Make an appointment.
- Appointments for new CHL's or transferring your CHL from another county are available Monday thru Friday - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Make an appointment now online or call (541) 383-4425.
- If your address has changed, fill out the Change of Address Form
- You must bring certain items to your appointment. If any of the required items are not with you, your application will not be processed and your appointment will be rescheduled.
2. Bring the following items to your appointment:
1. A completed Concealed Handgun License Application.
2. A Valid Oregon Drivers License showing an address in Deschutes County to prove residency. (Alternatively, provide current property taxes showing you own property in Deschutes County OR.)
3. A stamped, self-addressed business size envelope.
4. Cash, debit card ($1 fee assessed), check, or money order in the amount of: $65.00. If bringing cash, please bring the exact amount. You must pay the non-refundable processing fee to cover the costs associated with the fingerprints and background checks. This fee is due upon submission of the completed application.
5. You must be able to demonstrate firearms competence by any of the methods below:
- Completion of the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun License Class
Deschutes County Sheriff Office Concealed Handgun Class Schedule (Saturdays Only)
- Completion of any NRA Firearms safety or training course, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, private or public instruction, or organization or firearm training school utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or law enforcement agency, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security personnel, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officer if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service. Military documents must be specific in stating that your training involved a handgun or pistol.
- Proof you are licensed or have been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked.
- Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the NRA is handgun safety is a component of the course.
6. Proof of US Citizenship. Applicants who were not born in the US but who have become naturalized US citizens or who were born in a foreign country as a US citizen must present proof of citizenship at the time of appointment.
- A work permit or a legal resident alien card do not meet this requirement.
- Photocopies will NOT be accepted for any of the required documents.
Methods that can prove your citizenship status include:
- A Valid US Passport
- Certificate of Citizenship
- FFS240 (Foreign Service Document) issued at birth
- Certified copy of US Birth Certificate
- Original Naturalized Citizenship Certificate.
Transfer & Renewal........................$65.00
Renew Your Handgun License
You are required to complete a new application as part of your renewal process. In addition, proof of citizenship is required during the renewal process. You do not need to schedule an appointment to renew your CHL license, even if it is expired. A renewal notice will be mailed to you.
1. Go to the Main Sheriff’s Office in Bend
- Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
2. Bring the following items:
- A new application dated the day you drop it off
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship Original (We will make a copy of your proof of citizenship and return it to you.)
- Valid Oregon Driver's License with your current Deschutes County address
- A check payable to "DCSO" in the amount of $50.00. Alternate payment can be cash (EXACT CHANGE ONLY) or Debit Card ($1.00 service fee)
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
- Your current CHL license.
- When changing address with a renewal, indicate new address on application.
3. Your renewed permit will be mailed to you within a week of the date you drop off your application.
Change of Address (within Deschutes County)
If your address has changed, you must fill out and bring a Concealed Handgun License Change of Address Form to the Sheriff's office, or you can mail the form along with $15.00.