Getting a Handgun License
Get Your First Handgun License
UPDATE – We are now scheduling appointments for NEW CHL licenses and transfers. Our building remains closed due to health concerns with regard to COVID-19. Upon arrival, applicants with appointments should call the phone number listed on the door to the Sheriff’s Office and they will then be assisted by a member of our CHL team. Applicants will be required to bring and wear a mask during the appointment.
1. Make an appointment.
- Appointments for new CHL's or transferring your CHL from another county are available Monday thru Friday – 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Because of the delay caused by the COVID-19 Virus, appointments are booked up for several months. We apologize for the delay and we are working on being able to open additional appointments. Click on the link below to the scheduling calendar and choose the next appointment. Please do not call the office and ask for an earlier appointment. The calendar reflects the accurate dates of what is available.
- You must bring certain items to your appointment. If any of the required items are not with you, your application will not be processed and your appointment will be rescheduled.
2. Bring the following items to your appointment:
1. A completed Concealed Handgun License Application.
2. A Valid Oregon Driver’s License showing an address in Deschutes County to prove residency.
3. A second piece of ID including one of the following; a current passport, an original or certified copy of birth certificate or a Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship.
4. A stamped, self-addressed business size envelope.
5. Cash, debit card ($1 fee assessed), check, or money order in the amount of: $65.00. If bringing cash, please bring the exact amount. You must pay the non-refundable processing fee to cover the costs associated with the fingerprints and background checks. This fee is due upon submission of the completed application.
6. You must be able to demonstrate firearms competence by any of the methods below:
- Completion of the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun License Class
Deschutes County Sheriff Office Concealed Handgun Class Schedule (Saturdays Only)
- Completion of any NRA Firearms safety or training course, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, private or public instruction, or organization or firearm training school utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or law enforcement agency, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security personnel, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officer if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service. Military documents must be specific in stating that your training involved a handgun or pistol.
- Proof you are licensed or have been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked.
- Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the NRA is handgun safety is a component of the course.
6. Proof of US Citizenship (a Valid US Passport, Certificate of Citizenship, FFS240 -Foreign Service Document issued at birth, certified copy of US Birth Certificate, or Original Naturalized Citizenship Certificate) or proof of legal resident alien with 6 months county residency and proof of intent to become a citizen (N300 or N400 naturalization application).
Transfer & Renewal........................$65.00
Renew Your Handgun License
You are required to complete a new application as part of your renewal process. In addition, proof of citizenship is required during the renewal process. You do not need to schedule an appointment to renew your CHL license, even if it is expired. A renewal notice will be mailed to you.
UPDATE – We will be accepting Deschutes County CHL Renewals via physical and electronic mail (email), pending the current public health concerns related to COVID-19. To qualify for this renewal process, you must currently possess a CHL from Deschutes County. For a full set of instructions on how this mail-in/drop-off process works, review page 7 of the application which has a page title “Renewal Process (Mail-in Process ONLY)”.
1. Go to the Main Sheriff’s Office in Bend
- Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
2. Bring the following items:
- A new application dated the day you drop it off
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship Original (We will make a copy of your proof of citizenship and return it to you.)
- Valid Oregon Driver's License with your current Deschutes County address
- A check payable to "DCSO" in the amount of $50.00. Alternate payment can be cash (EXACT CHANGE ONLY) or Debit Card ($1.00 service fee)
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
- Your current CHL license.
- When changing address with a renewal, indicate new address on application.
Change of Address (within Deschutes County)
If your address has changed, you must fill out and bring a Concealed Handgun License Change of Address Form to the Sheriff's office, or you can mail the form along with $15.00.